Monday, June 25, 2007

Vancouver Day 2

Sorry it's taken so long to update, I've been busy with school and of course...lazy! So on day two, we decided to venture outside of Downtown Vancouver and took the 98B Bus to Richmond. I heard that there are tons of chinese stores/restaurants/plazas here along with the best chinese food in the West. Without a doubt it was! We started our day at Fisherman's Terrace Reaurant in Aberdeen Mall, for midweek, the place was pretty crowded. Here's another link with info on Fisherman's Terrace http://chowtimes.com/2007/01/fishermans_terrace_restaurant.html (I need to learn how to take better pics!)















The food was excellent but I was disappointed that they didnt push the dim sum carts around. Instead we got a menu and piece of paper to put down our order. And for first timers, of course we over ordered! I thought 'dim sum' plates were supposed to be small but the portions here were huge, even the shrimp dumplings were really big.





























The dumplings really were the size of that tea cup!















Ahh I can't remember what this dish was called but it was really good! It was basically banh cuon (rolled up rice cake?) rolled up and pan fried with a soy sauce like sauce and topped with thit cha bong (dried pork?)!


















We also had fried calamari with fried garlic on top, too bad they don't serve this at the dim sum places in VA!

So after shopping around at Aberdeen and checking out Daiso (Japan's $2 Store) we headed to President's plaza, another Chinese mall. I wasn't anything good here except a big grocery store that looked like another Grand Mart so I was pretty disappointed. Then we headed to Yaohan, they have really big grocery store here with lots of prepared food, I don't think you need to know how to cook if you live in Richmond or Vancouver. I was too full to really eat anything but I couldn't pass up on the good food so I had to bring some back to the hotel and lemme tell u, it was YUMMIE! Especially those fried dumplings and chicken stuffed with sticky rice!






























































After we got back to the hotel...of course I had to figure out where I wanted to go for dinner :) After talking to some locals we decided to give Stone Grill a try. At Stone Grill, your meal is served on a very hot molten rock (I think it was about 400 degress) and you basically cook as you eat. We were told that this is a very healthy way of eating since no oils were used and the food is only marinated in some sea salt. The meat was tender and tasted great! I like this place more than Mortons but I dont think my pictures do the meal justice!































Here are some more pictures of Downtown Vancouver's Chinatown. The food there is really fresh and it reminded me of those markets I see in those Chinese movies.















1 comment:

SteamyKitchen said...

WOW! It looks like you were in Hong Kong, not just a Chinatown. Those dim sum photos made me hungry...