Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Rice and Baby Clams (Com Hen)

I believe rice and baby clams is a dish that originated from Central Vietnam (Hue), there are many variations of it that can be found. The dish created below is adapted from my friend's recipe.

Rice and Baby Clams

3 cans of baby clams (drained)
1 tablespoon of minced ginger
1 finely diced onion
2-3 tablespoons of fish sauce
2 finely diced cloves of garlic
1/4th cup of shredded carrots

Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil on a pan and saute garlic, onions, and ginger. Once the mixture is slightly golden add carrots. Fry for another couple of minutes then add clams and fish sauce and season to taste.

I like to eat this dish in a hot pot so that the rice is crispy. I sprayed the pot with non stick cooking spray and heated it on the stove for a couple of minutes. I then added rice and a couple of teaspoons of oil around the rim to make the rice crispy and added the clam mixture on top. Once ready to serve, I added some crispy pork rinds. The sauce is a mixture of soy sauce and spicy sate sauce.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is that crispy thingy??? Looks delish! That trick of oil in the pot for crusty rice, Hung from Top Chef made it too!!! :P

Anonymous said...

peachymangodelight.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.